Saturday 2 February 2013

The Embassy - Related Artist

Single review by kev@thesoundofconfusion.co.uk


It's not just the clear similarity to this cover art and that of Spacemen 3's 'Playing With Fire' album that drew us to this song, honest! To be quite frank, the similarity stops there. Either I've been missing something quite important that my taste in music almost dictates I should know, or the press release for this single is telling fibs. Apparently The Embassy are one of Sweden's most influential artists; The Tough Alliance, Air France and Little Dragon were all inspired by this Gothenburg group. So I'll hold my hands up and assume that I've somehow managed to miss out on their alt-pop until now. I barely even knew the name.

If current single 'Related Artist' is to be used as a benchmark of their material, this is my loss. This is classy, quality and innovative electro-pop that mixes in everything from baggy to chillwave. It's smooth without being slick, it's danceable without being an all-out floor-filler and it's funky without the flashy musicianship that goes with it. 'Related Artist' is a great pop song and you can see why it would be popular; the influence is less clear, but judging this on one song would be completely unfair to a band who've been together for over a decade. I guess it's time to start checking that back-catalogue then.



The Embassy's website

Buy the single





For more news, reviews and downloads follow The Sound Of Confusion on Facebook or Twitter

contact@thesoundofconfusion.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment